Weekend Special: On This Date in 1986

October 27th, 1986 was a Monday night. After the surrealness of the "Buckner Game," heavy rains arrived in New York. pushing pushed back game seven of the Mets/Red Sox World Series by 24 hours. And just like game 6, the Red Sox took a lead at Shea Stadium, before the Mets rallied to tie and then pull ahead. Not quite as suspenseful. Almost, after what took place on that magical night two nights earlier, anti-climactic.

Series MVP Ray Knight's leadoff homer in 7th inning gave the Mets the lead for keeps as they rolled past Boston 8 - 5 to take their second World Series in franchise history.

Fortunately, I was there for all four home games. As the overnight deejay on WYNY -- but clearly the biggest sports fan on the staff -- I somehow lucked into a press pass for the NLCS games against the Astros. When the Mets moved onto the World Series, so did I.

Filing reports for the station's morning news was my first professional experience in sports. And I loved every moment of it. The following January, I was at Giants Stadium, covering the Jets and Giants home playoff games. Again, a very fun assignment.

And here I am, decades later, staying close to sports, especially baseball, every weekend on the radio. I am one lucky guy -- and delighted to share the images and insights with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Remnant of a Lost Ballpark

Another Yankee Trade

Will He Wear Zero in the Bronx?