A Final Goodbye to the Old Cathedral

With the demolition of the old Yankee Stadium moving steadily along, I knew I had to visit and to capture the final chapter of its story. Seeing the new stadium through the rubble of its predecessor is a reminder that baseball continues at 161st Street and River Ave. The games, the stars and yes, the ghosts all moved comfortably across the street.


The last remaining section is the outer wall behind what were the right field seats. It's just a shell -- the seats, aisles and anything else built out from the main structure came down weeks or months ago.
Still, there's a sadness that one can't avoid during the long drawn-out demolition process. With implosions not permitted in New York, it's an extended goodbye.


The shot below might be the most poignant. Look carefully at the broken panel that used to be displayed near the top of the stadium's exterior -- proclaiming to those driving past on the Major Deegan Expressway that they were seeing the Home of Champions.

Comments

Jaden Daly said…
Definitely brings back childhood memories of my time in the old Stadium...from my first game in 2001 through my last in June of 2008. I guess this is a sign that even though I turn 24 in August, I, like all of us, are getting older and waxing nostalgic about what used to be.

Keep up the great work!

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Remnant of a Lost Ballpark

Another Yankee Trade

Will He Wear Zero in the Bronx?