Newark, NJ's Riverfront Stadium

Traveling through New Jersey yesterday, I had a half-hour wait between trains at Newark's Broad Street Station. I couldn't help but notice the city's independent league ballpark from the platform. You can guess what I did with my spare time.
It turns out the Newark Bears (of the Can-Am League) had played at home that morning, but by 4:30 the park was closed. Luckily, the phone cam was able to reach through the gates.LinkNicely located adjacent to the rail station, I can now place Riverfront Stadium alongside Atlanta's now-demolished Fulton County Stadium as ballparks I've seen on the outside only!
If you're into independent league ball, you might want to check out the Bears, who share the name and honor the legacy of the great Yankee farm club of the 1930s and '40s, where such future major league stars as Yogi Berra, Joe Gordon and Charlie Keller refined their skills. http://www.newarkbears.com/index.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Remnant of a Lost Ballpark

Another Yankee Trade

Will He Wear Zero in the Bronx?