Jon Matlack's Gem

40 years ago tonight, I went to the Mets/Astros game -- which turned out to be a gem. Jon Matlack tossed a one-hit shutout. Tommy Helms' 6th inning single was all that stood between the lefthander and a no-hitter. (Baseball-reference.com has the boxscore.) It was a rare night in those days of film and prints that I brought along my camera. Decades later, I am so glad that I did.
The only scoring took place in the bottom of the 2nd inning when backup catcher Duffy Dyer singled in Rusty Staub. Then Matlack made that skinny lead hold up the rest of the way. Shea looked a lot different in the early 1970s than it did in the 1990s or 2000s -- no bleachers or picnic area, far less advertising (and, I suspect, weaker lighting).
The post-game congratulations were a bit more subdued. No organized lines of teammates and coaches. Just a warm handshake or hug from the rest of the infield at the end of a terrific performance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Remnant of a Lost Ballpark

Another Yankee Trade

Will He Wear Zero in the Bronx?