Johnny Monell

For delivering the key hit, a two-RBI double in the 8th inning of Sunday's 7 - 4 Mets win in Philadelphia, I wanted to spotlight Johnny Monell. But I had to find a picture of this just-recalled utilityman -- which wasn't easy. I didn't see the Mets in Spring Training this year. Monell was in the minors until a few days ago. And he never officially appeared Thursday night when the Mets hosted the Nationals.
Remember the word "officially" -- since I remembered seeing him in the on-deck circle in the bottom of the 6th (Monell is wearing number-19). At the time, New York was up 3-1. He was preparing to pinch hit for Jacob deGrom, who had the lead but was far from dominating.
Honestly, I wasn't focusing on Monell -- Dilson Herrera was hitting with a man and one out. A couple of pitches after I snapped this, Herrera changed the course of the game -- belting a two-run homer (that swing was in Friday's post here).
Now that the Mets had a four-run lead, there was no need for a pinch hitter that inning -- or anytime later. DeGrom came to bat (and struck out), and returned to pitch the 7th inning, while Monell took his place back on the Mets bench. The final score was 5 - 1 Mets.
So, for now, here's the best I can do for a Monell photo. I suspect the story behind the photo is more compelling than the blurry image of a guy who never wound up pinch hitting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Remnant of a Lost Ballpark

Another Yankee Trade

Will He Wear Zero in the Bronx?