A Visit with Vin

Slept last night from 10-3... Having nodded off to the Mets and Cubs exhibition on MLB network, I was pleasantly awakened to Vin Scully about to call the first pitch of the Freeway Series game.

WOW. Between his amazing talent to introduce a player with depth and humanity, he just keeps delivering brilliance. On a little roller down the 3rd base line that became a hit: "unlike when you're fishing, you don't have to throw the little ones back." Or just after a botched play, he recalled a Red Barber radio broadcast of Pee Wee Reese dropping a short pop fly -- and then bringing it into the present, saying he was going to have to tell Corey Seeger that his hallowed predecessor once committed the same muff.

While my mind tells me I need to try and get some sleep, my heart says this is too good to turn off and roll back over.

Fortunately, there are about 75 of these broadcasts left.

(My photo of Vin was snapped from the scoreboard at the L.A. Coliseum during the 50th Anniversary in California celebration in 2008.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Remnant of a Lost Ballpark

Another Yankee Trade

Will He Wear Zero in the Bronx?