Ballpark Eats: Washington Style

Over the years, I have found some wildly loaded and customized hot dogs -- remember the Ruthian from the Cactus League? -- but Dennis gets the credit for this unique ballpark dessert from Nationals Park. It's the ice cream sandwich sold by the DC-area deli chain On Rye. When he first eyed it and described this gelato on rye combination, I said, "How can they do that?" We still don't know the secret that keeps the bread from being saturated, but my traveling pal and food expert loved every bite. The ice cream offered a nice hint of cinnamon, and the bread was a cool alternative to the usual hard-as-a-rock "cookie" in most sandwiches.
While I didn't take the challenge on this dessert, I will give my thumbs up on the crabcake sandwich from the stand not far from section 116. Outstanding! Plenty of crabmeat, very little filler and not breaded and fried like something you remember from a school cafeteria.
But this food post belongs to the On Rye ice cream sandwich. Let's see if the idea catches on at other ballparks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Remnant of a Lost Ballpark

Another Yankee Trade

Will He Wear Zero in the Bronx?