Throwback Thursday: Tiger Stadium 1992

Thursdays are going to be special over the next few weeks. In the nearly 13 years I've run this site, I'd posted almost none of the images I took on my one and only visit to Tiger Stadium in Detroit.

It's June 12th, 1992, with the Orioles on the field before the game, while the Tigers are still taking batting practice.

To underscore the snugness of this marvelous park, I was standing in the box seats when I snapped this. I didn't have a photo pass; I wasn't on the field. Yet, the players seem to be just a few feet away. Mike Mussina (#35) was stretching near the batting cage, just a few feet away from teammate Todd Frohwirth (#49). The only other Baltimore number visible is 54. Anyone know who he is? Just an hour later, Mussina would take the mound and author a complete game shutout. Detroit's #54, standing behind the batting cage, is also a mystery. I would have guessed it's their hitting coach Larry Herndon -- but he wore #53 that season.

Unlike fellow classic parks in Boston and Chicago, Tiger Stadium was deemed too outdated to preserve and was replaced at the end of the decade by the more modern, but far less distinctive Comerica Park.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Remnant of a Lost Ballpark

Another Yankee Trade

Will He Wear Zero in the Bronx?