Yankees Old Timers Day 1982


With baseball still unable to escape its labor quagmire, time to dial up more memories.

This 1982 image of mine flashes back to when Old Timers Day was different: the first thing I noticed were the players along the 3rd base line. They weren't former Yankees, but old rivals from other American League ballclubs. Sitting behind them, they dominate my view... until I cropped the image and pulled them closer.

Look carefully at home plate -- this is why I took the image -- the Yankee waving his cap at the adoring fans is Mickey Mantle. I recognized him by the shiny head of grey/blonde hair he sported during the '80s. Now, look to his left, just up the 1st base line where the Yankees are standing. That's #9 Roger Maris. The M&M Boys back together again.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Remnant of a Lost Ballpark

Another Yankee Trade

Will He Wear Zero in the Bronx?