Remembering the Expos


Like many fans, I've tried to visit as many ballparks as possible. And I tacked another onto my list last week.  My late summer vacation included a few days in Montreal, where my very tolerant wife drove a good half hour out of the way so I could capture a few images of Olympic Stadium.
While the Expos have been gone for 18 years, and even their co-tenants, the Canadian Football League Alouettes have moved to a new home on the campus of the city's McGill University, renovation plans at and around the 46 year old venue are underway.  Among them, according to CBC News, replacement of the building's 23 year-old kevlar roof.
The story of baseball's decline in Montreal began after the 1994 strike, which snuffed out what might have been the city's first trip to the World Series.  A decade later, lacking fan support, the franchise moved to Washington, DC.
While I didn't see any Expos gear displayed at any of the sports and souvenir shops in center city Montreal, the ballclub was remembered at a shop in Quebec City.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Remnant of a Lost Ballpark

Another Yankee Trade

Will He Wear Zero in the Bronx?